February 9, 2005

Meet the Vatican Astronomer

The March issue of Astronomy magazine features an interview with Father George Coyne, Jesuit priest and the Vatican's chief astronomer. Francis Reddy put some tough questions to Coyne about the perceived conflicts between religion and science.

On how his spirituality is connected to his science, Coyne says, "In a sense, they are two compartments in my life. I try to do publishable research in international journals, but then, I'm a religious priest. There is some crossover in my personal life. Knowing more about the universe, and believing that God created the universe, nourished my knowledge of the spiritual background. I believe God is creator, and I've never come to that belief through any rational process. It's not irrational -- I don't think it contradicts reason -- but it transcends reason."

Astronomy's Reddy asks Coyne, "Are you saying there are essentially no conflicts between theology and science? Could there ever be? Is there a discovery that would somehow introduce one?"

"I can't imagine a conflict between the two.", Coyne begins. "That's more a faith-based statement, but I believe God created the universe. I can't imagine that God would create a universe in which there would be some contradiction. Ignorance breeds temporary conflicts, there's no doubt about that, but that's ignorance. I would think, undoubtedly, the very distant supernova measurements that have indicated an accelerating universe is the most challenging discovery in the past couple of years."

The interview in Astronomy magazine is not available on line, but I did find a story on Coyne that ran in The Detroit News May of 2002. Link.

No comments: